Score: Salem 6, Ferrum 2
Records: Salem (2-4), Ferrum (2-3)
Salem at Methodist | March 25 | Gene Clayton Tennis Center | Fayetteville, N.C. | 3:00 p.m.
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – The Salem tennis team claimed its second win of March on Friday, March 24th, posting a 7-1 victory in non-conference action against Ferrum at the Bert Lain Tennis Center.
The Spirits opened the match by claiming the first point, which came by virtue of the No. 3 doubles pairing of Alana Bridges and Abrielle Eckenroth, who downed Hannah Huffman and Gabby Mendoza, 8-1. Salem quickly moved the margin to 2-0 with an 8-6 victory from No. 2 seeded Alyson Gammons and Ashley Linden, downing Morgan Hundley and Emily Mahood.
Ferrum posted its lone point of the match in No. 1 doubles, where Tennessee Phillips and Emma Loughrey defeated the Spirits' tandem of Cadence Durham and Emily Griffis by an 8-6 margin.
Eckenroth capped off her first-ever collegiate match with two points, moving the Salem lead to 3-1 with a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Mendoza in the clash of No. 6 singles. Bridges then delivered the fourth Salem point (6-0, 6-3) by defeating Hundley in No. 3 play.
Gammons picked up her second point of the afternoon, this time from No. 4 singles, by taking down Mahood by scores of 6-4, 4-6, 11-9, securing the Salem team victory. Hoffman posted the three-set victory over Linden with a 6-2, 3-6, 10-5 triumph in the clash of No. 5 singles.
The final Salem point of the afternoon came from Griffis, who notched her first singles win her collegiate career in 3-6, 6-4, 10-7 over Emma Loughrey.
1. Cadence Durham (SAL) vs. Tennessee Phillips (FCW) unfinished
2. Emily Griffis (SAL) def. Emma Loughrey (FCW) 3-6, 6-4, 10-7
3. Alana Bridges (SAL) def. Morgan Hundley (FCW) 6-0, 6-3
4. Alyson Gammons (SAL) def. Emily Mahood (FCW) 6-4, 4-6, 11-9
5. Hannah Huffman (FCW) 6-2, 3-6, 10-5 def. Ashley Linden (SAL)
6. Abrielle Eckenroth (SAL) def. Gabby Mendoza (FCW) 6-1, 6-1
1. Tennessee Phillips/Emma Loughrey (FCW) def. Cadence Durham/Emily Griffis (SAL) 8-6
2. Alyson Gammons/Ashley Linden (SAL) def. Morgan Hundley/Emily Mahood (FCW) 8-6
3. Alana Bridges/Abrielle Eckenroth (SAL) def. Hannah Huffman/Gabby Mendoza (FCW) 8-1
Doubles order of finish: 3,2,1
Singles order of finish: 1,6,3,4,5,2